Improv Mini Finish

by Stephanie on April 2, 2016

in 2016 Finish-a-Long,Mini Quilts

improvisational mini art quilt
2016 FAL

Squeaked in a final finish for the Q1 “Finishalong” by getting this little improv mini quilt mounted on foam core and ready to hang on the afternoon of March 31st. This represents progress on item #1 on my Q1 Target List, which includes a stack of other similar minis as yet still unfinished.

It finishes at 14″x15″. I dithered for a while on how fat to layer the foam core: this is two layers of 3/16″, and with the quilt attached and wrapped around to the back, it’s about 3/4″ thick.

The center is mostly machine quilted “in the ditch,” and there are hand-stitched swoopy lines in yellow and blue perle cotton in the border.

pergola-1-detail-b-wm

I’m calling this one “Pergola 1”. There are a few others that date from the same “a while back” era, inspired by the lines and shadows cast by a pergola and the way the slats break up whatever’s in the background. This is not #1 in sequence by construction date, but it’s the first to cross the Finish line, so it’s #1 now.

There’s a strip of 3/8″ green grosgrain ribbon on the back, for hanging. The front edges wrapped to the back are stapled and glued down, then the backing fabric (with edges pressed under) glued on top to cover the raw edges and the ends of the ribbon.

pergola-1-back-sm

It’s thanks to the Finishalong that this one is done… it was not the top priority this week, but the FAL deadline prompted the last-minute spurt to get it done.

While I only managed one finish a month for Q1, I did make forward progress on some other things from the pile, and will be listing them for Q2. I’m also in the home stretch (ready to bind and label!) on two more improv quilts for a guild challenge. They don’t count for the Q1 Finishalong, but I had a blast creating them and they’ll set me up nicely for some quick progress on Q2. I’ll show those off soon, too…

{ 6 comments }

1 Maureen April 2, 2016 at 9:32 am

Smashing little quilt with your beautiful pops of colour – good to see you back to blogging!

2 Willa Downes April 2, 2016 at 3:54 pm

So glad to see your posting – I was just thinking about you last week. Fun to see where you are going.

3 Anne April 2, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Nice nice mini Stephanie. The hand quilting is a great little touch. Curious about the foam core and why you chose to use that rather than binding? I’ve though about stretching a quilt over a canvas but have just never tried it.

4 Stephanie April 3, 2016 at 8:38 am

The main reasons for the foam core is that it can be cut to any size, and is lighter (and cheaper) than pre-made canvases or even just the stretcher frame for a canvas. This batch of minis didn’t turn out at dimensions that suit the premade canvases. If/when I make more I might attempt a finished size that better suits a finishing technique, and give canvas a try.

5 Leanne April 3, 2016 at 8:59 am

This and your other finish are lovely Stephanie and good for you for getting the old projects out of your sewing room. I would have commented on the other post but your comments are closed for it. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

6 Mariah Bath April 3, 2016 at 9:52 am

Thanks for the inspiration, Stephanie! I sure miss our Thursdays together, might have to plan a quilter retreat / rendezvous sometime…love the details on the finishing tricks, staple, glue (fabric glue-baste?), and ribbon hanger. Well done! Looking forward to seeing morešŸ˜hugs

Previous post: