Squeaked in a final finish for the Q1 “Finishalong” by getting this little improv mini quilt mounted on foam core and ready to hang on the afternoon of March 31st. This represents progress on item #1 on my Q1 Target List, which includes a stack of other similar minis as yet still unfinished.
It finishes at 14″x15″. I dithered for a while on how fat to layer the foam core: this is two layers of 3/16″, and with the quilt attached and wrapped around to the back, it’s about 3/4″ thick.
The center is mostly machine quilted “in the ditch,” and there are hand-stitched swoopy lines in yellow and blue perle cotton in the border.
I’m calling this one “Pergola 1”. There are a few others that date from the same “a while back” era, inspired by the lines and shadows cast by a pergola and the way the slats break up whatever’s in the background. This is not #1 in sequence by construction date, but it’s the first to cross the Finish line, so it’s #1 now.
There’s a strip of 3/8″ green grosgrain ribbon on the back, for hanging. The front edges wrapped to the back are stapled and glued down, then the backing fabric (with edges pressed under) glued on top to cover the raw edges and the ends of the ribbon.
It’s thanks to the Finishalong that this one is done… it was not the top priority this week, but the FAL deadline prompted the last-minute spurt to get it done.
While I only managed one finish a month for Q1, I did make forward progress on some other things from the pile, and will be listing them for Q2. I’m also in the home stretch (ready to bind and label!) on two more improv quilts for a guild challenge. They don’t count for the Q1 Finishalong, but I had a blast creating them and they’ll set me up nicely for some quick progress on Q2. I’ll show those off soon, too…