My sister Abby and I chat daily via email, mostly about quilting. She’s been playing with fabric for more years than me, and has generated an entire galaxy of UFOs. Any time I feel overwhelmed by the state of my stash, WIP pile-up, UFO count, “orphans and extras” hoard, and/or scrap bins, I remind myself that Abby’s are far more impressive.
The other day I recommend she adopt Victoria‘s strategy of making a Kitchen Sink quilt each year from all the leftovers, abandoned experiments, and odds and ends of whatever. And I started wondering if I had enough sink fodder of my own to create a quilt. First thought was “probably not,” but that was mistaken.
Dumping out the orphans and extras bin onto the kitchen counter (see pic, above) revealed that I’ve got plenty! At least enough for a decent twin, and maybe there’s a queen top in there. A very small proportion are lights/aquas, which will likely be set aside to await others on that end of the intensity scale.
The temptation to start in on this right away is strong, but I’m going to use it as an incentive for finishing up a few other things higher in the queue.
A nice side benefit of working in sections like this is that I can baste on my kitchen counter, instead of on the floor. Yay!
My goal for today is to finish the basting. This task includes a brief (I hope) intermission during which I will get out the seam ripper and fix one block on the lower right panel that somehow got sewn in at a 90-rotation to intended placement. So annoying. And sooooo much better to have discovered at this stage, rather than after that panel has been basted or, worse yet, quilted!