Finally got the new OBW sewn up and off the design wall, so I can show you this. Our Season 1 of the Improvi-Robin collaborative quilting adventure is almost done, and the Starter Block I sent out in January has returned home larger and much improved. What you see above is the WIP as I received it at the beginning of the month from my sister. I couldn’t be happier with all the fun changes and gorgeous fabrics our Robin added to this one. Here’s a refresher of the progress, for those of you who aren’t following the action via our Flickr group:
I sent out this (details on starter block construction are here):
From which Jackie created this:
And Miki responded with this:
To which Willa added to make this:
And Abby created this:
I’ve added a few inches on the left to bring the bird back to center, a wonky sawtooth border on the bottom to emphasize the magenta and blue colors, and a couple of fun strips on the top to create a more vertical proportion:
Last night I was convinced this is done. Today, I’m not so sure. It’s asking for more of a frame than a binding will deliver. Spent some time this morning auditioning possible border prints, and have come to no firm conclusion. Stick around, and I’ll let you know what I come up with for it.
BTW: I’m planning to start Season 2 of Improvi-Robin in September, so if you’re interested in playing along let me know by email or in the comments.