The 2-year mark for this project was sometime in late March, so here’s a second annual update on “Grandmothers Flower Garden” progress.
This time last year I secretly cherished the hope that there was a glimmer of a chance I’d have the top all sewn up by now. *snerk* Utterly delusional. Truth is, I lost momentum on this last summer, around when I finished adding two green “triplets” to each flower unit, and didn’t get back into it until winter sometime.
I’ve made decent progress, although what I’d thought was an adequate labeling system for keeping the rows in order lost all coherency some time ago. This afternoon I laid it all out on the floor again hoping to regain a grip on where it’s headed.
Given that this is both paper and fabric laid on the floor, it is of course a cat-magnet . Cosmo was well behaved today, although it wouldn’t matter if he’d messed things up, because I’ve decided it needs one or two more orange flowers for visual balance. And comparing these pics to the first layout I can see I messed up and am now heading for every row having 9 flowers, instead of alternating rows of 8 and 9. Fortunately, all I need to do to correct that at this stage is remove one flower from what should be an “8″ row (the rest of the oopsies aren’t sewn in place yet) and lay it all out on the floor again. And pay more attention going forward as the rest of it is sewn up.
When the flowers are all put together, my plan is to fill in around the edges with more greens. I have a bunch of dark green squares cut, though not yet hexified, and I’ll want to include more of the medium/grassy ones that dominate the middle here and of which I have none left. No worries: I’m happy to have a reason to head to my LQS this week for some shopping!