I almost didn’t make this one (designed by Kerri):
My machine was all set up for quilting on the monochrome thing, and I was reluctant to change the thread, bobbin, needle, and tension settings (and change them back again). Plus, I’m not a big fan of pinwheels. They appear to be popular, but I don’t get it. And I didn’t see this block fitting in with my others.
I’m still grooving on turquoise and orange together, though, and these fabrics were near the top of the heap in the ‘palooza bin, so I played around with them. I couldn’t decide if I wanted the darker parts on the inside or the outside, so I made it both ways.
Turns out I like this one best, but they do look good together on my design wall. And some more “large scrap” pieces have been reduced to bits in the “small scraps” drawer, which is progress of a sort.
This block may be better suited to someone more deeply committed to contrast than I am. As you can see, my idea of “dark” and “light” is more like “somewhat darker” and “a bit lighter, relatively.” Still, I’m glad I took a few minutes to throw these together (it’s a quick block), and am quite fond of how they turned out. I still don’t see them playing a role in whatever my final palooza top is, so for now they are headed for the “orphans and extras” bin.
One more block to go, and then it will be time to figure out how to put all these together. Or, in my case, because I made so many extras, to figure out which I will be using, in what combinations and configurations.
BTW: I do plan to move pics of all the past blocks over … it will take me a while to become fluent in WordPress and to cherrypick worthy past projects to include here. Especially as what I most need to do RIGHT NOW is step away from the fun stuff and find someone to repair my broken dishwasher! For now, all the older ‘palooza blocks are at the old VdeH blog, here. Or you can wait until I’ve made Block 16 and do a summary post in a few days.